So you’ve been overwhelmed with all the hoop-lah about the “evils of sugar”. And after Monday’s post, you know a little more about how having too much sugar in your diet is generally havoc-provoking – both physically and mentally.
That’s all well and good, but big business has stayed busy and continued to be even more creative! They know you are looking for “sugar” on labels and they have become quite creative at HIDING added sugar through an elaborate naming scheme. But, as the smart consumer you are, you’re on to them!
But just in case – here is a list of many of it’s aliases:
- invert sugar
- raw sugar
- turbinado sugar
- brown sugar
- confectioner’s sugar
- granulated sugar
- corn syrup
- high-fructose corn syrup
- maple syrup
- fruit juice concentrate
Surprising Foods That Have Hidden Sugar:
- Pasta Sauce
- Breads – even Whole Wheat, but also Cinnamon and Raisin style breads – Read the Label!
- Potato Chips
- Salad Dressing (Especially!! the Low Fat and Fat Free ones!)
- Milk! (You may have it, but all Milk even SKIM has sugar! 1 cup skim milk=12 grams sugar)
- Protein Bars (They’re glorified Candy Bars!!)
- Dried Fruit (it has natural sugars but some food companies add Even More!)
**** AND **** CHECK YOUR POWERED ARTIFICIAL and NATURAL SUGAR SUBSTITUES!!
– a “Truvia” type Powdered Stevia based Sweetener’s FIRST Ingredient is: DEXTROSE = SUGAR!!-
Food is here to be your friend, to nourish you, to give you the energy to live your life. It’s meant to be enjoyed – On Your Terms! So knowing what’s in your food, reading labels, and educating yourself are just more tools in your toolbelt. And subscribing to CnnHealth or other nutrition sites/blogs can help you stay up to date with the many ways that food companies continue to develop to make food more appealling – at your expense! Forewarned is for-armed!